Saturday, July 3, 2021

Mark My Words - Customised Blackboard

 

Close up of Face on Blackboard

I needed a notice board in my craft area so I could write reminders and lists for myself, but in a place I could see easily when I sit at my craft table. Unfortunately, the view from my table is of the two doors of my large craft cupboard (see below... BORING!) So I thought, how can I make this work for me? I taped off two large squares with masking tape and prepped inside them by lightly sanding and then applying three layers of blackboard paint. I then drew in my design on the edges of one square with a white charcoal pencil. I love painting and drawing faces (that doesn't mean I do it well every time, trust me!) so I wanted this in the design somewhere. 


Then came the fun part, applying the iCraft Chalk and iCraft Metallic paint in layers and letting them dry. I did not Gesso anything first, I let the blackboard paint act as the gesso. Once I finished the painting, I used some large alphabet stamps I had and stamped "Mark My Words.." across the top of the square in white pigment ink. I went over the outline of the words in iCraft chalk paint (Cream Pie) using a fine detail brush to make them stand out. I have varnished the painted surfaces only with matte medium, to stop it from scratching or getting rubbed off when I clean my chalk board.
Now... what shall I do to the other square/note board? Any ideas?

Close up of flower in Lady's hair - Metallic and Chalk Paint

Note board 1- (left side door) - Completed

I hope this project brightens your day, as I hope it will mine, every time I look up when I am working at my table. 
Until next time, take care!


Below are the iCraft Chalk Paints that were used in this project:
Billow
Campfire
Cream Pie
Dessert Warmth
Flamboyant
Iris Impact
Irish Acres
Lights Out
Midnight Coffee
Old Glory
Supernova

iCraft Metallic Paints used:
Ancient Copper
Charcoal Black
Gold Rush
Golden Moss
Moon White
Romantic Pink











No comments:

Post a Comment